Friday 19 October 2007

Mike Hawthorn


On this day in 1958 Mike Hawthorn became Britain’s first World Champion motor Racing Driver. I hope it’s a good omen for Sunday’s race. Not only do I want another British World Champion but I have a bet on Lewis Hamilton which I put on before the season started at odds which now, I’m pleased to say, look ridiculously good. I even get a reasonable sum if he is in the top three in the Championship – which he will be come what may - so I will get paid out one way or the other.

Note the recent innovation in this shot – the safety visor; still considered a bit soppy by a lot of the drivers of the era! With only one win in 1958, against four wins of Stirling Moss, he benefited greatly from the gentlemanly behaviour of Moss as shown at the Portuguese GP. Hawthorn was disqualified for pushing his car, against the rules, on the way to a second place finish. Moss interceded on Hawthorn's behalf and the decision was ultimately reversed. Those second place points at Porto contributed to Hawthorn winning the championship with a season total just one point more than that of Moss. After winning the title, Hawthorn immediately announced his retirement from Formula One but sadly died in a car accident the following January.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive