Wednesday 6 February 2008

Walnut Whip

 

I saw something in the garage shop yesterday that I haven’t seen for ages – a Walnut Whip. They were, I recall, one of my grandmother's favourite confections. Nowadays, of course, the Walnut Whip comes in a wrapper whereas at one time it was simply sold as seen! I suspect the contents may have changed a bit over the years as well. Did they always contain a humectant, for example? A hume..what? A humectant – a substance used to obtain a moistening effect; a substance having affinity for water with stabilizing action on the water content of a material. A humectant keeps within a narrow range the moisture content caused by humidity fluctuations. Wow, where we would be without a good humectant?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive