Monday 6 October 2008

Banana boat

What was a banana boat? I recall references to it in my youth. People were described as travelling on a banana boat. I took it as a general term for a trading vessel not normally designed to carry passengers – i.e. people who travelled on a banana boat were travelling on the cheap and in some discomfort. I cannot find such a definition on the web which simply gives me
1) a ship designed to transport bananas, or
2) an unpowered recreational boat designed to be pulled by a larger boat.

I’d welcome comments from anyone who recalls it having a similar meaning to the one I thought it had.

In the meantime – these bananas seem to have lost their boat!


And did you know that every single banana on the planet is threatened? If not, may like to read my News Blog.

1 comment:

  1. One of the things about being a simple soul such as I is that I always assumed that if you 'came across on a banana boat' you did just that. The reason probably being that it was cheap and not necessarily particularly pleasant (no sealed inert gas holds or containers in those days).

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive