Wednesday 18 November 2009

Chameleons galore

Yemen Chameleon:-


 

Desert Chameleon:-


 


Mellor’s Giant Chameleons (note the two of them in there – they vary enormously in colouring):-


.

I love Chameleons. If I won the euromillions lottery and could buy a few slaves one of them would be a herpetologist.  I would have a palm house as big as the one in Kew Gardens. In it I would have lots of lizards, snakes and chameleons. I would breed them to return them into the wild. (Ah well, we can all dream). I just adore the way the chameleon’s eyes can move independently, enabling them to see and focus upon two different things at once. And they have such quick tongues and super didactylous feet.

The ones I have seen in zoos are only prone to comparatively minor changes in colouration but this video I found on Sandi’s blog is brilliant – in more ways than one.




6 comments:

  1. We have a cartoon strip in our newspaper called "Fox Trot" in which a boy has a pet iguana named Quincy. However, his passion for his pet isn't shared by his sister, which sets up the conflicts. I'll have to see if I can find some of the strips to send you. They're really quite cute.
    Canadian Chickadee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I. LOVE. HIM!!!! How cool is that??? I was thinking, wouldn't that be neat to be able to do that, but, yeah, we do already, right? Maybe just not so obviously.
    I really loved this SS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John,

    I think your enthusiam for lizards, snakes and chameleons is much greater than my own, however, after viewing that video I must say that I am intrigued. That was fascinating to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ;^) ;^) ;^)
    When I think of chameleons, I think of their innate nature to be able to adapt quickly and almost imperceptibly to change...and hide.
    ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fantastic! I love the video. I too would like to keep lizards - monitor lizards in particular, but you might just have converted me to wanting chameleons as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, amazing! The colors were so vivid and extreme I find myself wondering if it's real! And his little hands are just bizarre! He seemed in an hurry to get away from the glasses. Once while vacationing in Florida I saw these little anole lizards that change from brown to green to match the grass and the sand, but nothing so extreme! Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive