Thursday 6 January 2011

Live for Today

Two years ago my friend Julie died. At the time it very much put my life in perspective and I still think about her and how much she brightened people's lives. She was my age. Since then there have been few deaths that have affected me but now someone else has died whose death has made me put things in npersepctive again - Sue Johnson (née Archer). Her husband, Ken was a close colleague of mine at work and Sue also worked at Knowsley though I didn't have that much direct contact with her. Ten years younger than me she passed away 'suddenly but peacefully' the day before Christmas Eve. She leaves a young son, Matthew. Ten years younger than me. So unfair! My condolences to Ken and Matthew. In the meantime it reminds one how important it is to live life day by day and not worry about tomorrow.

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." ~ Cherokee Indian Proverb

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” Albert Einstein

You had better live your best and act your best and think your best today; for today is the sure preparation for tomorrow and all the other tomorrows that follow.” Harriet Martineau

"At the end of today, if it has been preoccupied with thoughts of enjoyment that might be coming, we will find that we have lost something valuable that will be gone forever. Today!" - Social Fix Blog

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could, some blunders and absurdities have crept in. Forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"No matter what looms ahead, if you can eat today, enjoy the sunlight today, mix good cheer with friends today, then enjoy it and bless God for it. Do not look back on happiness or dream of it in the future. You are only sure of today; do not let yourself be cheated of it." - Henry Ward Beecher

So, enjoy yourself today because it is not coming back and who knows if tomorrow will come...

2 comments:

  1. Ever since my husband died in the most unexpected and sudden manner only days after his 41st birthday in November 2009, I see things from a different perspective, too. For me, this has not changed, meaning, I have not reverted back to my "old ways" after a few weeks or months; the cut was probably too deep.
    I wish people would not always need such drastic events before reaching that conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Librarian, it is very sad that we need reminders of that sort. With a death as close as yours I'm sure the impact will always be there - one can only hope it gets less raw and painful as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive