Monday 2 January 2012

New Year Resolutions

I do think New Year's resolutions can't technically be expected to begin on New Year's Day, don't you? Since, because it's an extension of New Year's Eve, smokers are already on a smoking roll and cannot be expected to stop abruptly on the stroke of midnight with so much nicotine in the system. Also dieting on New Year's Day isn't a good idea as you can't eat rationally but really need to be free to consume whatever is necessary, moment by moment, in order to ease your hangover. I think it would be much more sensible if resolutions began generally on January the second. ~ Helen Fielding, 'Bridget Jones's Diary'
 


6 comments:

  1. Loved the book, but loved the film more....Mmmmmm Colin Firth.


    SP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! Sounds like something that would work for me.

    ;^)

    One of my favorite posts is by an author/friend/professor of Native American descent -- Cherokee.
    Thought this was wonderful:
    "Words for this season from Llewellyn: Write a list of current endings or changes. Burn the list. Scatter the ashes in the winter winds. Bless that which is ending, and bless whatever enters to fill that void. Toss to the four winds to fertilize fresh starts to the new year."
    ALL the best to you and yours, John!
    ;^)
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I posted the same quote today. I love it! Great minds...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cartoon. Calvin must've been talking to the English robin! :0) Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second that! I love Calvin and Hobbes cartoons. I have a friend whose cat is named Hobbes. :)
    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive