Sunday 1 January 2012

No one ever regarded the First of January with indifference


No one ever regarded the First of January with indifference. It is that from which all date their time, and count upon what is left. It is the nativity of our common Adam. ~ Charles Lamb

An optimist stays up until midnight to see the new year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves. ~ Bill Vaughan

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.
~ Alfred, Lord Tennyson, 1850

People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. ~ Unknown

New Year's is a harmless annual institution, of no particular use to anybody save as a scapegoat for promiscuous drunks, and friendly calls and humbug resolutions. ~ Mark Twain

The only way to spend New Year's Eve is either quietly with friends or in a brothel. Otherwise when the evening ends and people pair off, someone is bound to be left in tears. ~ W.H. Auden

Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to. ~ Bill Vaughan



10 comments:

  1. ....and old age is when you can do as you please! (and if you believe that you'll believe anything.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quotes all! I must be neither pessimist nor optimist because I rarely stay up at all. At least no-one ends up in tears. Happy Nerw Year, Scriptor, my friend -- I hope to be a more steady reader of your blog next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new year to you too, SP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Mark Twain and W.H. Auden here. Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that I am with Mark Twain myself. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the quotes....You have a good year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I guess it's time to start worrying (4th quote)! Happy New Year to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So what does this make me - an optimist or a pessimist? Answers please!

    I have never liked new year's eve. Infact, given half a chance, I am off to bed well before mid-night and hopefully fast asleep when the hour of midnight arrives.

    I just get a feeling of melancholy and I just cannot stand all the jovial "Happy New Years" going on around me.I am basically a very happy person so what is it with New Year?

    I do love Christmas though and I am very happy to hear "Happy Christmas" over and over again and believe it or not the same jingles being played over and over in the shops! Is it just Bah Humbug - like Graham?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now there's a question, Spesh! But I don't have an answer - I could send you a list of Jo's psychotherapy prices though!!!! Alternatively you could just stop worrying about it and go to bed early again next year. Good job you don't live here - the fireworks bang away until one a.m. so an early night would be pretty pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the Bill Vaughn quote about the optimist and the pessimist. I sometimes find myself in between. This year I have been trying to make myself more of an optimist though and trying to better myself by seeing things in a new light. http://carterwestlaw.com/who-we-are/

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive