Thursday 12 July 2012

In the Butterfly House at Buckfast



While staying with Daughter-who-takes-photos and Friend-and-son-in-law-who-loves-otters we went to the butterfly house and otter sanctuary at Buckfast.  While one of our number – it doesn’t take much guessing to know which one – spent all his time with the otters the other three of us split our time between the two.  Here are some of the attractions in the butterfly house.  (Don’t worry, the otters will appear at a future date).

Blue Morpho (Morpho peleides)



Owl Butterfly (Caligo eurilochus)



Great Eggfly (Hypolimnas bolina)



Great Orange Tip (Hebomoia glaucippe)


 
A swallowtail (Papilio palinurus)



Another swallowtail


And, while watching the flying flowers, one must not ignore the stationary ones.

 
 

Clipper (Parthenos Sylvia)




Malachite (Siproeta stelenes)


 
Blue-frosted Banner or Grecian Shoemaker (Catonephele numilia) – I think this is a new species for me  so thanks to Helen for spotting it!

 

7 comments:

  1. Such delicate beauty, both in the flying flowers and the stationary ones!
    The Stuttgart zoo (Wilhelma) have a butterfly house, too. My parents and I are probably going to go to the zoo for a concert on Friday evening, and I will take my camera along, although I doubt I'll ever get such perfectly detailed pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought of myself as someone who doesn't like insects -- though I have never liked spiders. But twice now I've had the opportunity to go into a butterfly house and turned it down. I just don't like the idea of them landing on me. So maybe I am nervous about creepy crawlies. They are beautiful and fun to try to identify, but I guess not while actually on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful butterflies, quite different from ours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am smitten with the Malachite! What a beautiful creature!

    P.S. You promised otters. There were no otters. I demand my rights! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." Ralph Waldo Emerson

      Delete
  5. You're most welcome. Thank you for identifying it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beauties. I've never seen any of them - well, possibly on photos, but not in real life. It's a very limited number of species that I come across around where I live.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive