Wednesday 31 October 2012

Hallowe'en




If I can get this posted in the next couple of hours it will still be Hallowe’en which will enable me to justifiably post this picture I happily stole from Marcheline…


If all witches were like this no wonder the other women in the villages wanted them burned at the stake!

Any way, Happy Hallowe’en but please don’t knock on my door – I’m busy blogging and watching a football match at the same time.  Chelsea are currently beating Manchester United 4-3 in the League Cup...  Added to which I don’t know where the kitten is and if I open the front door she may dart out.  She is confined to the house until she’s six months old and has had all her injections and been spayed. She’ll then be free to go out and pick up any flea-bitten moggy she wants.

 
Postcrossing is all about the luck of the draw.  The people you get cards from, the quality of the cards, the way in which they fit your interests, and, in no small measure, where they come from.  Today I got a card from someone I knew, a great postcrossing card from China in the shape of a letterbox with a picture of a Chinese letterbox on it, a card from the Czech Republic and a card from Saint Pierre et Miquelon which I didn’t even know existed until today!

Do you find it all a bit worrying this inter-relationship between the various computer systems?


And some good advice….


10 comments:

  1. Love your picture of the importance of postmen. I know I bless our post office every day. I don't know how they can be running in the red, when every time I go in, there's a big queue. But I suppose there's some logic in there somewhere.

    In the meantime, have a happy Halloween. It's only 3 PM here, and full daylight, so no trick or treaters yet. We are giving out little Kit Kat bars. I hope there will be some left -- they're the ones Rob and I like best! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, yes I do find too much computer interaction a little bit worrying. I don't do very much purchasing by computer and certainly no banking! My kids scorn my hesitancy, but I figure, all it takes is one good hacker. I'm a little alarmed about our national security problems with hackers also. However, I do LOVE being able to look up anything on Google and finding an answer immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Halloween to you as well. My husband and I will turn out the lights, watch TV and pretend not to be home. We are terrible aren't we. I'm just not in the mood for trick-or-treaters tonight.

    I almost bought a set of those cards that you have pictured with the mailman on it. I think it comes from the Missive Maven's shop. I think it's great.

    I've sent out ten postcards for postcrossing.....Still waiting to receive my first one. It's such a disappointment to go the mailbox and find it empty. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes JarieLyn - they are from the Missive Maven and I meanrt to provide a link to her etsy site. I've bought a few postcards from her - I think they are so good.
      http://www.etsy.com/shop/MissiveMaven

      Delete
  4. Ivy turned up in the meantime, I hope?
    RJ and I spent a good part of the night at the cinema with about 300 friends for a private viewing of "Skyfall", which was less fun than it sounds. When we came home, we found that someone had found it "funny" to put a big bag full of leaves on RJ's car, but as far as we could see at 2.00 in the morning, no damage was done around the house or to the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ivy was probably hiding under the bed - one of her favourite spots.
      When I lived in Leeds in the eaerly 70s Hallowe'en was an excuse for some severe vandalism but it's never been much of a 'trick' night in Liverpool. They are more concerned with getting a 'treat' of sweets. I think the older children tend to treat it with disdain.

      Delete
  5. Forgot to say I love the sign "In case of fire..." so true :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm smiling at the Google one... :) Happy 1st November to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Halloween back at you! If I could look like that witch I might join a coven...I really had to laugh at the final pic. I would be the weirdo posting about the fire..I really would!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the Google one! In our fair city, Halloweeners are to visit only homes that have a porch light on. I never have to buy candy because my porch light is motion detected; thus if they don't come up on my deck, the light won't come on. For 27 years before that, we lived in the country. :) Back in the olden days, kids went only to their neighborhood houses. I'm ashamed to say that parents encourage their kids to be greedy by driving them from neighborhood to neighborhood. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive