Wednesday 21 August 2013

Wednesday weanderings (a cross between wandering and meandering)



Where When are we?
Me:-   May I have a Lotto lucky dip please?
She:-  Is that for Wednesday or Saturday?
Me:    I don’t know – what’s the next one?
She (with raised eyebrows):-   Wednesday.  It’s Tuesday today,

OK.  That happened yesterday which means today must be… Yes, it’s Wednesday.  It’s handy to have things like that happen to keep me on track.

Still no Ivy
Enough said.  Getting concerned that she may have found a new home.  At least, we are hoping so since that is probably one of the best of the options.

GB
Big Brother is coming to stay for a week or so at the weekend.  Vacuuming and trying to get some boxes out of the way – hoping he notices!  I’ve been well the last few days and am desperately hoping I can keep it up so we can have some super days out like we usually do.

West Kirby et al
Partner-who-loves-tea has been working away like mad at various things (both job and house related) so we have given ourselves a couple of breaks this last week and had lunch out and coffee out on a few days.



This was at Koi in West Kirby.   I had Quesadilla (keɪsəˈdiːjə) which was new to me. Quesadilla  is a flour tortilla or a corn tortilla filled with a savoury mixture containing cheese, other ingredients, and/or vegetables, (often) then folded in half to form a half-moon shape. This dish originated in Mexico, and the name is derived from tortilla and the Spanish word for cheese queso. 


Mine was a chicken and bacon quesadilla and as well as the cheese it had tomato salsa, mixed peppers, red onions, and field mushrooms.  It came with a side salad and a sour cream garnish. And it was very nice.  Partner who-loves-tea settled for a Pâté with toast and garlic bread with a tomato chutney.  It was nicer than it looked.

Sticky, yucky
My laptop has a sticky patch where my left hand rests and I can’t seem to get rid of it.  I can’t fathom out why it’s still sticky after being cleaned about four times and it’s driving me up the wall.  Just thought I’d let you know…

Postcards
I have received so many cards lately.  There has been a complete splurge of them.  I must look up the origin of the word splurge.  


I think it’s a lovely word and so expressive for the extravagant display of cards on the doormat.

Outside Tesco

Outside Tesco there is a little children’s ride that goes back to our era – Bill and Ben (but no Little Weed – “Weeeeed, Weeeed!”).  Do my readers from outside the UK know of Bill and Ben?  They were one of the earliest BBC children’s television programmes.   If you want to be educated about our British heritage you can flobadob here.


Next door to Bill and Ben is a ride with Barney.  He is not our era and neither Partner-w-l-t or I knew him.  But research has shown me that Barney & Friends is an American children's television series aimed at children from ages 2 to 5. The series first aired on April 6, 1992.
The queue for getting into Tesco…




The Liverpool waterfront
I’ve been attending appointments (to be assessed for counselling – it’s a long story) at Birkenhead by the ferry terminal.  I took the opportunity on Monday to take some photos across the river.
 The above photo can be enlarged by clicking on it.





Have a good day, folk.

15 comments:

  1. Loved the river photos.
    I'm glad that GB is coming to visit, I hope you two will have lots of fun while he's there.
    Since you're outside Tesco, you can pop in and buy some of their Tesco all purpose cleaner with plant extracts to clean your laptop hand rest site....a little teeny bit diluted goes a long way.
    You will let us know if you win the lottery won't you? I need a new best friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vee - in the end I used lemon-based sticky stuff remover. I'd already tried normal all-purpose stuff. I think it's because the surface has tiny pores in it that it was proving so intractable.

      Delete
  2. Rather than make off-color remarks about the sticky patch on your laptop (ahem)... I will offer you a possible solution. There is a product over here in the US called "WD-40" - don't know if you have it there in the UK. It's basically a very fine-textured oil, intended for lubricating locks, squeaky chair springs, and the like. Interestingly, it also functions extremely well as a remover of all things sticky. As long as the surface being cleaned is not porous, that is. So - if you can get hold of a can of WD-40 (or the UK equivalent thereof), spray a little bit on a paper towel and scrub that sticky spot. Guaranteed it comes right off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Marcheline, we have WD40 and I use it for all sorts of things but never thought of it for cleaning, thanks. In the end I used the lemon based sticky stuff remover which you can buy to get the remains of labels off new products. Don't you find it really annoying when labels seem designed to stay on forever.

      Delete
  3. I love quesadilla's. I often make them at home when Justin or I need a quick snack. I've never heard of Bill and Ben but they are cute.
    I sure hope your Ivy finds her way back home. You must be missing her terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry Ivy has gone walkabout. My daughter's cat used to do that -- and came back about a month later, after it'd been in a fight and needed to go to the vet to get its ear patched up. As the cat has gotten older, it strays less and less, but still vanishes like smoke if the dogs want to play with it.

    I smiled at the pictures of Bill and Ben the Flower Pot Men. And I'm so glad you got so many postcartds to brighten the mat. The photo of the Liverpool sky line is fascinating, and so nice to have all the buildings identified.

    Stay well, and let the vacuuming go. I'd be willing to bet that GB wouldn't notice, or care, if the house was left un-vacuumed.

    Have a great day and a great week. xoxox Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never heard of neither Bill and Ben nor Barney before. I watched the video you linked to and couldn't help giggling because it made me think of GB's post from yesterday (the weeds having a field day in his garden while he's away)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. An interesting weander, indeed, and i like your use of that word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh! My laptop's at it again. I just lost my whole comment. So for the second time around: -- that's a wonderful photo of the Liver Building.

    As for the sticky spot on your computer, try a little talcum powder -- just a little. Don't want the stuff getting inside and gumming up the works.

    I do remember Bill and Ben the Flowerpot men. Do you remember "Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin."

    I feel so bad about Ivy, but don't give up. We had one that went missing for 3 months when we lived at Flamborough.

    ABC Wednesday has been no help so far with my mystery flower, so we are pinning our hopes on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it off thanks Chris but talc sounds a really good idea if it happens again.

      Delete
  8. That's the first time I've seen the waterfront from the angle of the penultimate photo. I don't think I have ever seen some of those buildings. A visit is obviously long overdue. I'm looking forward to Sunday. Stay well!


    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy quesadillas occasionally. I tend to put too much filling in mine and end up with a mess. No matter, the waitress is used to me and brings me extra napkins.

    I'm very sorry that Ivy is still missing. Don't give up hope, as she's a cat and may be enjoying the hospitality of some neighbor. Or she might be living off the land. Cats can do that quite nicely.

    I enjoyed the photos from the water.

    How do I go about sending you a postcard?

    I vaguely remember Bill and Ben, but as you may remember I'm in the colonies and the version we got had been revised somewhat for North American children; dumbed down so that my dog got bored watching it.
    HA!
    HA!HA!
    HA!HA!HA!

    We only had a few stations:
    Channel 2, 4, 7, 11 and 13 were reliable and clear. Channel 9 was Windsor, which is where the show might have been broadcast as Windsor was actually serving Detroit. With the advance in technology we also got UHF stations 24, 50 and 56.

    As you may be aware, censors for British and American TV were quite different back then - still are, I think. Anyway, when we watched a Western (Draw when you're ready...) people got killed. Indians got killed left and right, and the traditional six shooter held 12 to 14 shots. I think I counted 9 from the Lone Ranger's gun one time. Wellsir, you couldn't show that violent stuff in Canada (what, people getting shot with GUNS?! Oh, mercy me! Oh, Lordy, Lordy! Oh get on with it...) but you could show... other things. So one evening when the wind was blowing from the North and the reception on channel 9 was really good, we watched a play broadcast from Windsor that had naked women in it.

    No, I'm not fooling you a bit. The play was all about women throwing each other's clothes out the window of a tenth floor hotel room and ending up naked. They were pretty women, too. The next day we read all about it in the local bird cage liner, and the way people took on you'd have though we were learning to smoke opium and sing One Eyed Riley. Of course, since Windsor was across the line, there was very little the censorship sourpusses in the US could do except raise hell. Which they did.

    I, being a child, was terribly traumatized by this and suffered irreparable damage to my tender, undeveloped psyche. So I want reparations from you Brits. See?

    I'm thinking a nice whiskey with water back in your favorite pub would be sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quesadillas sound delicious! I have seen them on the menu but always been too boring and unadventurous to try them. One of the small pleasures in life is going out for a lunch or a coffee.

    I do hope the lost cat turns into a found cat soon. And I hope GB appreciates your efforts to tidy up !

    I enjoyed your postcard of Liverpool's waterfront, which I have visited once, when attending the Tate nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The food looks and sounds delicious.

    Sorry to read that Ivy is still not back. Some cats have been known to return home after months of leave; Lucky, my downstairs neighbours' cat, is one of them. After they moved here, they made the mistake of letting him out too early, and he set up shop with an old man a few streets away from here. Three months later, he was back, and has not gone missing again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. salon mirror
    -:we are happy to read your post , its a very nice and more informative...

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive